The commitment involved in marriage is counter-cultural today and Christian marriage, indissoluble and open to new life, is a great witness of faith. A Catholic is required to get married in a Catholic Church unless permission is given by the Archbishop to marry in another Christian Church. Marriage is a huge step and a great calling, and it is important that couples prepare for it as fully as possible.

At least six months notice of a marriage is normally required, so please do get in touch with one of the priests or deacon here at  St Augustine's as soon as possible once you decide to get married.  There is a special blessing for engaged couples. We will be very happy to arrange for this blessing either at Mass or less publicly.

Once you have made your initial contact with a priest or deacon here, you will have at least four sessions with him as a couple to explore the meaning of Christian marriage. This is essential, and at St Augustine's we also require you to take part in a Marriage Preparation Day along with other engaged couples.

There is a special leaflet in the church porch entitled "Your Wedding at St. Augustine's". Read this carefully, and then come to see one of the priests or deacon.  As a parish community, we will want to share your joy and give you all the support we can. The priests and deacon will help you in any way we can to make your preparation for your wedding, the celebration itself, and your married life afterwards as happy and blessed as possible. Congratulations if you have just decided to get married. Please see someone here before you make any other arrangements. Generally speaking, you can get married at St Augustine's only if one or other of you or your family lives in the parish.

If you were 'married' outside the church or have discovered marriage irregularities then please approach one of the priests.  It is often easy and straightforward to regularise or convalidate marriages.  The priest would be happy to take you through the process and this can remove a barrier to the reception of the sacraments and lead to a renewal of faith and a new beginning for a relationship.  If you have suffered from the distress of marriage breakdown or civil divorce you may also want to talk to a priest about seeking official annulment (which is a recognition that the initial 'marriage' was irregular or invalid).  The priest may also be able to give spiritual advice/confession or recommend helpful counselling.